Sabideh or HELLO everyone! Sorry I’ve been out on hiatus. I had a long winter break and just haven’t been motivated to write. Sometimes when starting a new blog, it’s hard to stay motivated especially when you don’t have a huge following. But I’ve finally got my butt in gear.
Since 2017 started, I’ve been making easy and simple dishes. Ones that don’t require washing lots of vegetables and recipes with minimal ingredients. On Sunday nights, I really like to keep it simple. The other day I was watching the Today Show and Chef Curtis Stone was cooking. He inspired me to start blogging! He made Mexican-Style Slow-Cooker Pork Roast with Chipotle Sauce. First of all, he had me at slow-cooker then add chipotle to the mix, I was all over it.
So here goes my own version of his recipe. I modified it a bit and replaced the pork with beef although pork would be fine but I couldn’t find pork shoulder at my local super market. In addition I added a few ingredients of my own. It was super easy and super delicious!! Ma der! Ma der!
Slow-Cooker Chuck Roast with Chipotle Sauce
A set it and forget it dish that is affordable and yummy.
- One 2 lb Chuck Roast
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth (can substitute for beef broth)
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano chile, sliced in 1 inches wide stripes
- 3 red potatoes, cut in 4's
- 2/3 cup cilantro, 2/3 cup green onions and 1 jalapeno chopped for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat slow cooker on high heat.
- Step 2 Sprinkle salt and pepper all over beef on both sides. Heat up large sauce pan and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then place beef into pan. Brown both sides, this should take roughly 3 minutes on each side.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, add rest of olive oil into slow cooker. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, tomato paste, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin and potatoes.
- Step 4 By this time the beef should be ready to go. Transfer the beef it into the slow cooker. Then in the same sauce pan, sautee the garlic, poblano chile and bell peppers. Stir fry for about 3 minutes until the peppers soften up. Then transfer them directly into the slow cooker. Mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker.
- Step 5 Set the slow cooker on high to 8 hours. After 4 hours of cooking, stir the sauce every couple hours. Once beef is tender, transfer beef onto plates. Add salt to the sauce to season it a bit more. Then pour sauce over each plate, add cilantro, green onions and jalapeno before serving. Feel free to pair this dish with tortillas or rice.