Sabaidee! Happy Friday Everyone! This week has been a bit hectic for all of us so I thought let’s make something easy. My recent trip to Rosarito inspired me to create this awesome appetizer just time for Thanksgiving! First of all I love SHRIMP and I’ll take it anyway I can. I know eating too much of it can cause high cholesterol but just don’t over do it. Getting back to this snack, it’s very satisfying. In terms of nutrition, shrimp is a good source of protein, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium.
The fusion part-In Thailand there is a dish called Naked Shrimp. It’s called Naked Shrimp because the shrimp is cooked with lime kind of like Ceviche. I’m trying to stay away from raw foods therefore I’ve recreated this appetizer by cooking the shrimp and adding a Mexican twist to it. Ma Der Mar Der!
Shrimp Tostada Chips
A light and tasty appetizer.
- 1 lb shrimp, size 26-30
- 2 cups water
- Dash of Salt
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely and set tiny bit aside for garnish
- 3 tablespoons Roma tomatoes, diced in small cubes
- 1 jalapeño, diced in small cubes. You can substitute with 2 red or green Thai chiles or 1 Serrano pepper for an added kick.
- 2/3 cup cabbage, chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 24 yellow corn round tortilla chips or your choice of tortilla chips
- Crushed red pepper for garnish and added spice
- Step 1 Boil water in a small pot. Add a dash of salt. Once water comes to a boil, add shrimp. As soon as the shrimp cooks (pink color), turn off heat and rinse shrimp in cold water. Pat them dry with a paper towel. Place them in a medium size mixing bowl. I had a large measuring cup available so I used it which made mixing the ingredients easy.
- Step 2 Grab a small bowl and get ready to make the sauce and slaw. Add fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and stir. Then add jalapeños, tomatoes, cilantro, cabbage, garlic and mix well.
- Step 3 Pour sauce over shrimp. Mix well until every piece of shrimp is coated in the sauce.
- Step 4 Start to assemble the tostadas. Lay out 24 tortilla chips on a large serving tray or large plate. Spoon 1 shrimp and slaw over each chip. Make sure you get enough slaw on top of each chip.
- Step 5 Top with cilantro, crushed red peppers and 1 tiny squeeze of Sriracha on top of each shrimp. Make sure not to get the juice on the chips otherwise they will get soggy. Serve immediately.
Photo is missing 2 ingredients: 2 cups of water and salt.